Sunday, June 1, 2008

eggs poached

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/how-to-poach-an-egg-smitten-kitchen-style/

Feb 2009
I'll try again this morning using the swirling method and lower heat.

September 2009
Here is a method that is not poached but worked in the small cast iron pan.
An ex-girlfriend's mom used to be a short-order cook and I learned the best way of frying eggs from her. Crack the eggs into any pan, let them set or crisp edge, then pour about a shot of water per egg between the eggs into the pan (some use butter). Cover the pan for a few minutes and voila. This works with sticky pans as well; if I'm frying one or two eggs I use a 10" All-Clad LTD and a lid from a 3Q saucepan. Never a stuck egg in my 15 years of doing it this way.

The writer says nothing about how hot things should be before the eggs goes in. I preheated the pan as others recommended. But then I put the heat down and raised the pan if it was boiling too vigorously.
It did stick a bit, but was easy enough to slip out with a sharp spatula and did not need to be turned over for cooking on the top. The egg held together much better than my poached eggs using the swirling method.

No comments:

Post a Comment