Sunday, June 8, 2008

chicken ricotta spinach and BASIL

Well this is not meat and dairy free and probably not as healthy as some recipes here, but it is easy and good.

Usually I pound chicken breasts until they are thin. This time I used a thin cut chicken breast on sale by Perdue. It was actually the cheapest available.

I sprayed the bottom of a baking dish and layered chicken, ricotta and fresh spinach making two layers in all.

Now I'll bake for about an hour at low temp. Should be good. I hope.

It was but I FORGOT THE FRESH BASIL. Remember that next time.

2/22/2011
Did not have fresh basil, but used some dried. I also added a bit of the pepper seasoning we bought in Crystal River.  I did half in Vermont's Seriously sharp cheddar as Jen is not much for ricotta. Hope it works.  We are all in Homosassa.
I did not pound the chicken as thin as before and I just did one layer each, chicken, spinach, and then cheese.  Either cheese tasted fine.  Everyone here thought it was a great meal.  I liked it, but I think I want to go back to thinner meat layers and I definitely missed the taste of fresh basil.
2/27/2012
No fresh basil here in Florida unless I want to raid Mary's new plants.  I filleted the breasts and that made the pounding easy.  I made them like a sandwich with the ricotta, dried basil, pepper seasoning from Crystal river, and spinach in the middle.  Baking for an hour at 350 degrees. No sharp cheese in this one.

We liked the sandwiched design as the meal held everything together for easy serving.  Next time brush the top with olive oil half way through the cooking.  Still, it was not really dry.  Certainly fresh basil would improve the taste, but this was fine. Elizabeth caught the basil without being told.  We both agreed that the ricotta was better than sharp cheddar for this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment