Wednesday, July 23, 2008

pea soup with smoked chicken

I took the last of the chicken carcass from the local smoker and cooked it up with split green peas I had soaked over night.  I guess the soaking was not necessary, but it seemed to help.  I put in two large carcass pieces and over flavored the soup so that in the end it needed to be diluted as it was too "rich". I might better have used just one.  I added in a can of vegetable broth. I scopped out the peas once they were tender and blended about half to add a thickening smooth pea broth.  I did not add any spices except pepper.
When it was done, I put it in the refrigerator and before eating, I added a half can of chicken broth to my bowl.  Elizabeth liked it richer and added less.
That was very good.
I need a bigger pot down here.  They I could have doubled the recipe and used all the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment