Tuesday, February 5, 2008

sauerkraut- Kapusta

January  2019
Elizabeth made this with Carroway.  It tasted great.  She put in some of the ground pork I made from the last shoulder pork slow cooker piece.
**************************************
Elizabeth did not like an apple in the mix.
**********************

Gail Guzik:
Take county style pork and brown it. combine a sliced cabbage with a can of sauerkraut and cook the entire mix with black pepper for a few hours in a large stove top pan. Keep it covered but turn the mixture every so often.

I suggested carroway seed and that seemed okay.
the recipes I have seen so far call for onion as well.

Gail also puts in an apple, skinned and cut in pieces.



11-08-08

Tried the recipe in the old cast iron fry pan. I did have to watch for burning and added water part way through the cooking. It smells good. The pork is beginning to get so it will fall off the bone. I used the country pork rib pieces. I did not add spices, even avoided onion, deciding just to do what Gail recommended and add variations another time.

*****************************************************************************

April 11 2009 - Used the mandolin to shred the cabbage. Made it with carroway this time.
No onion. Elizabeth is better with no onion. If I want onion I'll use a jar in the part I heat up for myself as left over. Again it needed extra water part way through the cooking.
I did not have an apple.

*******************************************************************************
Easter morning- April 12

Yes, we had left over kapusta for brunch. Yum! I had mine with a slice of Rubslager Westfalian style pumpernickle which is made with whole rye flour (the stuff that keeps the prostate healthy). Much smaller and thinner than a conventional slice of bread and yet not as ridiculous as a coctail bread, this is a fine compromise. I added pot of Stash's double bergamot tea and the taste blendings were exquisite.

Note for next time: Two pieces of country ribs is plenty of meat for a large cabbage with sauerkraut to taste. The carroway worked just perfectly.

February 2010 in Tampa
No carraway here.  I used lean boneless pork chops and liked it better without the fat.  I browned them i olive oil.   They did not easily break up, so we might eat this with chunks of pork rather than shredded.  I'll cut the pork smaller next time.
Bruce and Abigail liked it fine.  I liked it too even with bite sized chunks of meat.

March 2010
 at Chapel Hill
Took the left over barbecue from Florida and chopped it into the cabbage and sauerkraut.  Used a larger kettle this time and liked it better than a fry pan.  Added some chicken broth and boiled it up.  I used the juice of the sauerkraut but that was a mistake.  Too harsh.  If I need more vinegar it is better to add some smoother basil vinegar.  I added carroway seeds.  The smokey flavor of the barbecue ribs and chicken added a nice flavor to the mixture.  We both liked it.



***************************************************************************************
ANN MARIE IS THE FIRST PERSON I KNOW WHO TRIED A RECIPE FROM THIS BLOG;
Ann Marie writes:
A few months ago, Elizabeth had described the kapusta and it sounded good, so I put about half a good sized cabbage, a large size can of saurkraut and a mess of lean pork short ribs and cooked and cooked it. I really liked it the first 3 meals, but I had made way too much for 1, didn't think it would freeze well, so kept eating it over the next week. (Too scotch to throw it away). I didn't want to even think about it till about now, so when I do it again, I'll cut way back on the ingredients. I really loved the smell as it was cooking, and that first meal!


October 1, 2010 for poker buddies


More carroway this time and used the country pork ribs Gail used in original.
I did not have an apple.
I used a good shake of carroway seeds.  I really like carroway in this recipe.
I made this as one choice for the poker players.  Roasted a turkey at the same time so the smells are interesting and sweeter than the smells of just the cabbage.  I used a large cabbage and two large cans of kraut.
I did Gail's country ribs again, browning them before I started the cooking, but I like the other more tender cuts of meat better in this in spite of getting the ribs for a dollar a pound.
For six hours the mixture sat on low in the slow cooker while we played cards.  It was not the favorite of the group so there were leftovers.
Wow, what a concentration of flavors!!  My mind tells me it can't be good to cook something for about 12 hours total, but this stuff is even better over cooked.  Is there any food value left?   I don't know.  But it does seem like a good diet dish.
****************************************
At Foxwoods a Polish fellow taught me that the particular mix of cabbage and saurkraut is actually called Bigos Kapusta.  Here is a follow up recipe:
http://www.transparent.com/polish/im-hungry-lets-make-bigos/

********************************
April 2017

No apple again.
I used the granite pan. The cover is not very tight, so it cooked off the liquid and needed more.  I watched it and put it on low, so nothing burned.
I bought a bag of Shop Rite sauerkraut and a small cabbage.  I had no carroway, but used some other small poppy seeds and a small amount of cumin seeds.
A small cabbage was still a lot of cabbage for a large bag of saurerkraut.
I used the mandolin to shred the cabbage course.  I cut the ends.  Seemed to work pretty well.
I put in one and a bit jar of veggie juice.  Later I added another jar of veggie juice.
I drained and rinsed the sauerkraut to keep the harsh taste out.
I added a bit of the sherry we have not been drinking for a unique taste, vinegar like but not as strong.
I used up the last couple spoonfuls of a wine vinegar.
It all seemed to work. It is an unusual kapusta, but tasty.  I would not want to put too much cumin in as that flavor came out fine.


2 comments:

  1. 2016 for Gegorge and judy party. Cooked with a little mustard seed and carroway seeds. Used a bit of veggie juice. Drained sauerkraut. Used a jar of organic. Shredded most of the cabbage with mandolin, but chopped some. Mixed it up in pressure cooker and steamed for 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, added some of the white wine Chris brought me and some bite sized hot dog pieces (organic applegate) and I put in an apple as gail did.

      Delete