Friday, July 3, 2020

HOMEMADE CHIAVETTA'S

Homemade Chiavetta’s
2 quarts vinegar (I used half cider and half distilled)
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1 head of garlic
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons ground mustard powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup poultry seasoning
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Place garlic cloves, all the dry ingredients and 2 cups of vinegar in a blender and blend on high
for a minute or so. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over med-low, stirring, until it
starts to boil and the cornstarch thickens up the mixture. Remove from heat and mix with
remaining 6 cups of vinegar and allow to cool. Store in used vinegar bottle until ready to use.

July 17. 2019

Frank sent this recipe.
I did not make a quart, but made half or perhaps a bit less, using all the vinegar I had, a mix of Apple Cider and white wine.

I had to use whole cloves, but otherwise I stuck to the recipe, except of course for the salt.
I was amazed at how many spices this took, spices I rarely use too.  Cool.

It is quite good.  I almost followed the recipe exactly.  I put down pounded thin chicken breasts and put them in a bowl for soaking overnight.
I fried up one and doused it with the sauce.  It was good, but I like it stronger.  I'll get that if the chicken sits in it overnight.
I know Frank uses it on the barbecue, and I may do that, but I rarely fire up the charcoal.  A good bit of work.  Still, I have some steak too that I could grill.  
From a pork shoulder I have some pulled pork like pieces, and I'll try the sauce on that too.  I imagine it will be quite tasty.

****************************************************
I went spices wild.  I used:
whole cloves
lots of poultry seasoning
turmeric
black pepper
garlic powder
ginger
corriander
mustard powder

I used mostly red wine vinegar but some organic apple cider.

I did not blend in the blender. This was a mistake.   Better to blend well.
I cooked it for a while and stirred.
Then I added the corn starch and cooked some more.





















No comments:

Post a Comment