Thursday, January 31, 2008

Venison pepper tiki marsala

We don't cook much fancy here, but what happens to leftovers is often more complex than our simple meals.
So, what I had for lunch was absolutely delicious, and I'll reproduce it on purpose in the future.  This is how it went:

I took a jar of venison starter from the freeze a day or so ago.  This is venison cooked in broth with maybe just pepper, onion, garlic, and a bay leaf.  When I am done trimming the leg of the venison, I boil the bones and make this concentrated starter.
I added some nice snap peas from Guido's organic market in Massachusettes and some of those baby carrots and one chopped green pepper, and we ate this as stew.  It was good.  A bit basic, the broth not quite as rich as I like.  Elizabeth added rice to hers.
That same day I noticed (when I chopped the pepper) that the red and green peppers were not as crisp as I like, so I cooked them up with white onions in some olive oil.
Today I heated the leftover stew, added one part cooked peppers, added  a third of a can of condensed mushroom soup and two tablespoons of Tiki Marsala cooking paste (Patak's brand).  Pepper and salt to taste.  This was so yummy is is hard for me to put half of it in a jar for tomorrow.
I ate mine as a sauce over this Chinese rice I bought on Central Avenue near Peter's house.  A small black kerneled rice.
What a fine lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment