Monday, March 10, 2008

Rice brown

Brown rice and frozen peas

I suppose that this mix of field peas with snaps is not available in the north, but they sure make a nice bit of frozen beans to add to cooked brown rice. With left over catfish, some crushed tomato and some cut tomatoes I made a nice mix like a poor man's jambalaya. It was not seasoned the way I best like, but it was good.

Brown rice cooked up easy on the top of the stove using 3 cups rice to 7 and a half of water and letting it cook the full 45 minutes on the very low electrical setting. I like the result.

Brown rice in the slow cooker

1-12-09

I used a recipe for slow cooker brown rice that called for 3 hours on high and then went out to do errands and left the rice on low for a long while. It overcooked. It is rice mush now. It would make a great mashed potato substitute at turkey time. It does not taste bad with a bit of soy sauce in the morning, but it does not have the texture I enjoy in brown rice. I guess I'll make it on the stove again in that pan here that is no stick and has a good covering lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment