Monday, May 5, 2008

Humus

Looking for a recipe for humus without the oil and fat that is in the supermarket variety, I came across this one online at All Recipe.

I wonder if the tool we use to smooth the lentils or peas in soup will smooth this out. Also wonder if Key Lime juice would be good either with the lemon juice or without it.

  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
  • 2 ounces fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • DIRECTIONS
  • In a blender or food processor, combine garbanzo beans, jalapeno, cumin, lemon juice, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the reserved bean liquid. Blend until smooth.
Further thoughts have me wondering about soy sauce used in place of oil in recipes for humus. Lots of healthy diet books are also trying to limit salt, so soy is ignored as is hot pepper sauces like Frank's. I'm not trying to limit salt. There does not seem to be a link between salt and cancer which is the healthy focus of my new eating. At any rate, I have to have some way to treat myself besides fruits.

11/6/08 Everything here worked well but the humus is a bit bland even with the nice pepper bite from Charley's habenaro which I used in place of jalapeno. I added a bit of tamari and black pepper and that seemed to make a big difference.

Exciting is the humus provides an entire new fat free medium with which to experimentally add spices and different flavors.
I tried eating it and then eating Joseph's Tahini Humus. The home made version is just as good. There is 20 fat calories in a serving of prepared humus that are missing in the home version. That is nearly half of the total calories.

THANKSGIVING

Started with mashed chick peas, a bit of Tamari, and a bit of lime, garlic powder. Broke the mixture down into four bowls, left one plain, and added these things to the other three.

1. added Mexican spice and a good bit of Nellie and Joe's lime juice and cilantro
2. added Chuckmonk's pepper sauce
3. added raw bulgar

These along with the basic made a nice mix of choices served with cut up veggies. I liked the cut red onion. I added some jars of hot sauce for variety.

I'd say the response was luke warm. Folks might miss the taste of the olive oil. Cory did ask later for the way humus is made.
I liked all of them. I especially liked what the lime juice does and may try just that with no Tamari next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment