Thursday, November 21, 2019

ROAST ROUND BEEF

April 2019

This has been a week for beef. I finally defrosted and cooked an eye of round that has been in the freezer. I never cooked one before. I mistakenly thought of it as a fine and tender piece of beef. That is not the case. It is a great bargain at $2.39 a pound. There is no bone. There is no gristle or irregular parts. But my reading told me that if cooked in a normal roasting fashion, it would probably be tough. What they suggested was coating it with spices (no salt for me). I used garlic and black pepper. Place it fat side up and cook it in an oven preheated to 500 degrees for fifteen minutes. Then turn the oven off. Do not open the door. Let it cook in the cooling oven for a couple hours. It worked perfectly. When cut, the inside was uniformly rare without those pesky almost raw sections we get in undercooked steak. A nice pink and very juicy. And it was plenty tender enough except for the small ends. Delicious and very cheap.
We also had a piece of left over steak on the bone. Elizabeth thought it had dried a bit in the refrigerator. So, in went the boned piece as well as some bits from the roast. I boiled it with about seven cloves of garlic that had dried out over the winter and were a bit hard. Perfect broth for my favorite Sopa de Ajo con juevo. We cooked it down a long time. Then we put bowls of it in the microwave with one whole egg. I covered the bowls because eggs with yoke in tact can explode in the microwave. These did not. And so we at a fine bowl of soup that reminded me of the one I first had in Avila, Spain years ago.

Jume 2022
A nice square piece of roast on sale.  I browned it on all sides, coated it with peanut oil, and put it in the oven for the 20 minutes at 505

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

October 19, 2019

I did another one and it turned out exactly the right redness, but it was just too tough.  I think this is my third one and none were like this.  I pounded some slices for breakfast meat, and the rest got chunked up and put in the slow cooker with potatoes, onion, garlic powder and beef broth to make a soup/stew.  

******************************
November 8, 2020

I did a nice round roast which was perhaps thicker than the other pieces.  I put it on 500 for a half hour, then turned the stove off for 2 hours.  It turned out great, but had begun to cool a bit.  Perhaps an hour and a half might be enough.
I sliced this one using our new meat slicer and it worked just fine.
What I like is that I like the meat red but not raw.  The way this cooks it gave us plenty of red.  Only the very ends were well done.
Slicing it I'm sure made it more tender.
***********************************************************
One facebook person published this technique for prime rib along with this math
Roast at 550 at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.
*********************************************************'
January 8, 2021
I thought 550 too high.  I set at 515.
I put a bit of canola oil in the glass baking dish and then put in both the 3 pound roasts.  I like using garlic, but if I put it on the top side it will burn, so I put some granulated garlic on the side that would sit in the oil.   I put black pepper on the top.   I decided I wanted a gravy this time, so I did not use parchment.  Also, the dishwasher has been doing a fine job getting these pans cleaned up, so it is not so necessary to protect with parchment.
Then I took a full two hour nap.
When I woke up, the beef was just as we wanted, very pink with no rawness.
I am not saying that this is as tender as prime rib, but it was more tender than most of the steaks I've had.  I'll cool most of it in the refrigerator and slice it on the slicer tomorrow, freezing batches for future us.

2022

I had a nice square piece of beef and roasted it for 20 minutes, then turned the over off.  I did not get to it while it was still hot, but it was in perfect shape and I sliced it up in fine thick slices using the meat slicer.
2023 November

A nice lean roast.  I put it in a glass baking dish with the smaller side laced with fresh garlic the way they do lamb in Spain, knive pokes and the garlic slide into the resulting hole made by the poke.  
I turned it fat side down in some peanut oil.
In at 510degrees for 24 minutes
Cancelled and the stove left with door shut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment