Thursday, June 8, 2017

Slow Cooked pea soup

Note that pea soup is very high in sodium.  Even when not using cans, it would be over 30% of daily allowance.  So, I guess it takes it off my list of foods to eat.


11 cups of water to 4 and a half cups of peas. 

Could have used a bit more water.  Try 13 cuts.  Peas could use a lower carb rate.  I won't have them very often.

*********************************************************
Tried 11 cups of water.  I did not soak the peas, just washed them
I added chopped onion, but wish I had chopped it much finer, or perhaps grated it.
No garlic.
I had one pork chop.  I fried it up for lunch and just took about half, the meaty part.  The rest went in the peas along with a bit of the pork fat.
Turmeric and black pepper was added.

I cooked it quite a few hours on high.  The recipes called for low, but this was the way to go.  I put it on warm for a couple hours, waiting to eat it.  It was good tasting, but rather watery.
The leftovers went in the refrigerator and a day or so later, the texture had changed and the peas must have absorbed more of the water.  It was thick and wonderful.  Perhaps the trick is to cook it early and give it some refrigerator time.
June 12 2019
************************
Only used a quart and two oz of water.  Not quite enough.  Then refrigerated it was like thick paste.
I added a jar of veggie juice before heating it up in the microwave.  That helped, but I think I prefer just plain taste and will use water next time.
I used a country rib bone of pork and some cut carrots for flavoring.  Seemed good.

No comments:

Post a Comment