Tuesday, January 15, 2013

butter beans

January 15  2013

I made a fine slow cooker of lima beans today and I'm very sorry I ever bought a can of butter beans. These are wonderful cooked with nothing but water and desired spices or hotsauce added later. And for those delighted in little things as I am, the removable ceramic pot in this new slow cooker meant it was easy to soak the beans in the same bowl I used the next day for the cooking. Saves dishes. Technically, I could have done that in the old fashioned variety, but it is a bit awkward dumping the soaked beans in the collander out of those heavy old cookers where the pot was not removable.
Dry beans cost about a third as much as canned beans. Comparisons are not easy because they can't be done by weight. A canned bean is much heavier because it is filled with water before it is purchased. The dry beans take on weight in the soaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment