Wednesday, October 28, 2020

SLOW COOKER BLACK BEANS OR BLACK EYED SUSANS

 I cooked some black beans (soaked in water overnight) with garlic powder in veggie juice of about two and a half cups.  I added in small bite sized pieces of pork that had been fried up with red peppers.  Spices were turmeric, black pepper, regular granulated garlic, the last bit of Mrs. Dash spice, some Benson's.    

I cooked it on high for about three hours and then on low for a couple more.  That was the right amount to produce well cooked beans but not mush and the liquid kept it from burning on the bottom.  Elizabeth liked it, but thought the pork had too much turmeric from the first cooking.  Also, she can only eat small amounts of beans without difficulty.

****************************************************************

1/5/2021

I soaked one bag of black eyed susans overnight.  Drained and rinsed.

I put them in the liquid left from my slow cooked pork shoulder after skimming off the fat from the top.  I added the small bone.  I cooked them about two and a half hours on high.  They turned out very, very good.  It would be hard to duplicate exactly the spices, but even Elizabeth liked this soup except that she does not like the texture of beans and these reminded her too much of lima beans.


***************************************************************************

May 14, 2021

Elizabeth's birthday in Meadowcrest, Florida

Two bags of black beans soaked overnight

Add paprika, Benson's, tarragon, shreds of carrot, chopped onion, chopped fresh garlic, tumeric, black pepper, some chopped greens, browning and a bit of fat from pork belly.

On the top I put a skinless chicken breast for flavor, but not to be cut into the soup.

Covered with water.

Cooked on high.  Expect to cook at least five hours.  I'll check after three and turn it to low.



No comments:

Post a Comment