Thursday, July 11, 2019

BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW - SLOW COOKER

Follow the instructions in Kaeter's Everything Slow Cooker cookbook on shelf near the woods.
Add this trick
https://www.bing.com/search?q=peeling+winter+squash&form=EDGNTT&qs=AS&cvid=f356bd8f206e43be87772b3cd549ddca&refig=c1cc12216a8047bef2a3c63521aa2145&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AXK1c4IvZoNqPoPnS%21QRLONxMpplLb8cSRFRoCgMT37ObFqSPFxm5DhAW7c4czatGXPGAqw*9fYe7vVbSMYwSVWc8zCFkDa3hkRwC%21SxSx7l&plvar=0&PC=MSE1

Peeling the squash was the hardest part and took most of my morning prep time.  Because of Elizabeth I left out the Lima beans and the jalapeno peppers.  I added the peppers in my own bowl and they did make a huge difference.  The taste was great, really sweet with no sugar, just the sugar of the squash.  Squash is supposed to be good for liver healing.

I used dried cilantro and red rather than yellow peppers.  I can't see the difference in those two peppers, but pehaps they wanted the dish to be all one yellow color.

I put it on high for about an hour and a half and then slow for the rest of the cooking.  I got no burning from the high time.  The water kept it nice and made a fine little sauce as well.
I could see how the squash could be overcooked.  I guess I cooked it a total of five hours.  It would not need quite that much.  At one point I stirred up everything, put it on high so it would come back to temperature, and cooked it on low after that.  Great meal.

I did not find the lima beans until after a few bowls.  I liked the stew better without lima beans.  However, I did add both pepper flakes and chopped jalapeno and that really made the dish.

Then I tried it with a spoonful of sour cream and liked it even better.

*******************************
I took the last of it, mixed in some sour cream and a bit of half and half.  Very little of the later.
I blended it in the bullet blender.
Then I heated it in the microwave.
It was very tasty.  I like it creamy.  It is amazingly sweet in spite of there being no added sweetener.










No comments:

Post a Comment